MASTER OF SCIENCE
As a result of globalization and advances in technology during the 21st century, the complexity and variety of data have evolved while the volume of data continues to increase daily. This phenomenon has been dubbed “The Big Data Revolution.” The world is inundated with data and information, stemming from, but not limited to, social media platforms, business transactions, internet sources, cellular data usage, and file sharing.
The Master of Science in Data Science program prepares students to collect, analyze, visualize, and communicate actionable insights for data-driven decisions in business, non-profit, and government organizations. Data analytics can be used to maintain competitiveness, adapt business strategies, increase sales, or enhance security.
Offered on campus in Erie, Pennsylvania, students in the M.S. in Data Science program benefit from state-of-the-art Federal Resources Corporation Cyber Education Center.
- Options: Master’s, Graduate Certificate, 4+1 (MU Undergrads Only)
- Location(s): On campus
- Duration: Minimum 21 months
- Cost: $1,026 per credit; $39,000 total
- Deadline: Rolling admissions
- Start term(s): Fall or Spring semester
- Careers: Data analyst, data scientist
Mercyhurst University pioneered the field of intelligence studies in the mid-1990s and is home to the largest and oldest academic intelligence enterprise in the United States. Mercyhurst's School of Intelligence, Computing, and Global Politics has earned a reputation throughout the world for the quality and cutting-edge analysis skills of its graduates.
As “The Big Data Revolution” evolved, Mercyhurst has invested heavily in both data science and cyber security. Drawing on the diverse learning resources and experienced faculty of the School of Intelligence, Computing, and Global Politics, these programs harness our national security bona fides to offer unparalleled instruction in some of today’s most dynamic fields.
Mercyhurst graduate programs are designed to give our students a competitive edge in the marketplace. You will be prepared as a professional data scientist who will serve as a key informant for decision-makers in both the public and private sectors. You will be able to:
- Assess, evaluate, and respond to decision-maker needs and requirements.
- Collect, clean, store, and query data from a variety of private and public data sources.
- Apply appropriate analytic techniques to provide estimates that support decision-making and action.
- Communicate actionable information and findings in easy-to-understand written, oral, and visual formats.
The M.S. in Data Science is an on-campus program. With full-time enrollment, students can complete the program in as little as 21 months.
Our program’s unique curriculum will prepare students, even those with limited to no previous experience with data analysis, for careers as data scientists.
This STEM program features a curriculum that emphasizes:
- Data visualization
- Machine learning
- Database skills
- Quantitative analysis
- Communication skills
Data science is one of the most important disciplines of the future, and it will intersect with every professional area as the reservoir of the world’s data continues to grow. According to a McKinsey Global Institute report, “the United States alone could face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with deep analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers and analysts with the know-how to use the analysis of big data to make effective decisions.”
Prospective applicants for the Master of Science in Data Science must fulfill the following admissions requirements. At the discretion of the director of the data science graduate program, acceptance may be granted to applicants who have not fulfilled all the admissions requirements provided they agree to the conditions of the acceptance prescribed by the director.
Admissions decisions are made by the program director on a rolling basis after a holistic review. Applicants can choose to start in either the Fall (preferred) or Spring semester.
- Completed (free) online application
- A bachelor’s degree in any discipline from an accredited school with a preferred overall minimum GPA of 3.0
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you’ve attended
- A current resume
- A 500- to 750-word personal statement outlining your reasons for enrolling and personal and professional goals
- A letter of recommendation (1) from a professional or academic source (such as an employer or professor)
- International applicants whose records are written in a language other than English must have their documents translated into English and a notarized statement attesting to the accuracy of the translations
- International applicants whose primary language is not English must attain a TOEFL score of at least 79 on the internet-based exam OR an IELTS score of at least 6.5 OR a Duolingo English Test score of no less than 100.