Mercyhurst University respects the privacy of all visitors to our website. Our policy is to collect no personally identifiable information about you when you visit our websites unless you affirmatively choose to make such information available to us. However, our web servers automatically recognize some non-personal information, such as volume and timing of access, as well as the Internet domain and IP address from which you accessed our sites. If you share personal information with us, we will not sell that information to outside parties. Mercyhurst University may communicate with you regarding offerings or opportunities in which we feel you may be interested. If you do not wish to receive these communications, you can opt out at the bottom on any of our emails. Student information is kept confidential pursuant to federal and state regulations. Occasional changes may be made to these policies as new services, features, and content are added to our site; visitors should review this page periodically to stay informed of current privacy and security guidelines.
Unless you have taken steps to browse the web anonymously, Mercyhurst University, like most institutions and organizations on the web, tracks the web browsing behaviors of users to better inform our understanding of how our website is being used.
Cookies and Website Tracking
Collection and Use of Information
Mercyhurst University automatically collects, stores, and uses the following information about our users.
- Data about your browsing activity on our website.
- Technical information about the device or browser you use to access our website and the request made to access it. For example, your device's IP address, as well as (in the case of mobile devices) your device type and mobile device's unique identifier, such as the Apple IDFA or Android Advertising ID. Routing information is used to route the requested web page to your computer for viewing. Essential information such as the page and time of day they are accessed is also collected.
- Additional information about you from third-party sources where we have the rights to do so.
Third-Party Website Links
Any links on the Mercyhurst University website to third-party sites are provided solely as a convenience to our visitors. If you visit these links, please know that you will be leaving our website; Mercyhurst does not continually review these third-party sites, nor do we control and are not responsible for any of these sites or their content. By including the link to their site, Mercyhurst does not endorse or make any representations about them or any information or materials found there. If you decide to access any third-party websites linked from our site, you should refer to their respective policies for privacy/security information. We are not responsible for the accessibility of external websites linked from the Mercyhurst site.
Use of Forms
Mercyhurst University respects your privacy and does not condone providing any of your personal information to third parties without your permission, unless compelled by law or court order to do so, or to sell any personal information to third parties for marketing, advertising, or promotion purposes.
Limits to Privacy
The use of college resources, including computing and networking equipment and services purchased with college funds, are intended for college business. While it is not the intention of the college to actively monitor communications or files stored or transmitted on college systems or devices, individuals must understand that under certain circumstances, they may not have a right to privacy to such information. Such circumstances include but are not limited to:
- Compliance with legal requirements or process
- Used as part of an investigation of a suspected violation of law
- Regulation or college policy
- Used to maintain the integrity of the college's computing systems