Academic Calendar

Mercyhurst's academic calendars for current and future semesters can be found on our academic calendars webpage.

Academic Programs

The university's undergraduate programs page, graduate programs page, and associate degree programs page include details and requirements of each program.


Mercyhurst University is committed to making reasonable accommodation(s) for qualified students and employees with disabilities as required by law.

Please review the Mercyhurst Accommodations Policy for instructions to request reasonable accommodation(s).

Students and/or Employees can make accommodation requests by completing the Online Accommodation Request Application.

Supporting documentation must be submitted for requests to be considered. The university recognizes that every person has their own unique path regardless of their disability status or diagnosis. This may involve working with various medical, mental health, and educational professionals. We accept documentation from a wide range of professionals and in many different forms. This helps us remove barriers to access and take an individualized and holistic approach to provide support. Please refer to the Mercyhurst Accommodations Policy for the minimum criteria that all documentation must meet to be considered or one of the following forms may be completed and submitted (as applicable):

  • Student Disability Verification Form
  • Employee Medical Information Request and Verification Form

Both of the above forms are available upon request by emailing  

For questions regarding the accommodation process, inquiries regarding the Mercyhurst University Assistance Animal Policy or if you are experiencing a barrier to access on any of our website locations, please contact Susan Reddinger, ADA Coordinator, by email at, by phone at 814-824-2362, or by fax 814-824-2020.

Annual Clery Report and Fire Disclosure Report

The university's annual campus security report provides information concerning safety and security on campus. Each federally funded educational institution is required to post information concerning crime prevention, campus safety and security, crime statistics, and other security information on an annual basis.

Banking Services Agreement

The university's Banking Services Agreement provides information on the university's collaboration with PNC Bank that allows for Mercyhurst students to have access to Virtual Wallet Student bank account. 

Code of Conduct for Educational Loans

The Board of Trustees of Mercyhurst University recognizes that ensuring the integrity of the student financial aid process is critical to providing fair and affordable access to higher education. These guidelines are designed to avoid any potential for a conflict of interest between the university, its students or their parents in the student financial aid process. The university's Student Loan Code of Conduct provides more information about this.

College Navigator Site

Consumer information about each institution is posted on one site for student accessibility.

The Erie Campus College Navigator site provides consumer information for our main campus in Erie.

Copyright Infringement

Copyright infringement laws are put in place to protect the original works of authors or creators. These original works cannot be reproduced, distributed, performed, or publicly displayed without the author’s permission. The university's Copyright Guide provides information on Mercyhurst's copyright policy.

Cost of Attendance

Each year Mercyhurst develops student expense budgets (cost of attendance), using U.S. Dept. of Education guidelines. These are used to determine students' financial need at Mercyhurst. Students’ expense budgets include approximate tuition and fee costs as well as allowances for the cost of books and supplies, transportation, food, housing and personal expenses. These expense budgets represent the maximum amount of financial aid that students may receive from all sources, including student loans.  Published costs reflect the "typical" enrollment pattern of an average student. Additional costs may be incurred for certain programs, courses, labs, accommodations, travel experiences, etc. The university's cost of attendance is broken down by undergraduate cost of attendance and graduate cost of attendance.

COVID-19 Pandemic and The CARES Act

Mercyhurst University has consolidated all communications and policies regarding the COVID-19 pandemic to a standalone website, available on our COVID-19 webpage.

Mercyhurst University was allocated up to $16,711,364 in federal relief funds authorized under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). As a recipient of funding, the university is required to provide a series of disclosures:

Crime Log

The Police and Safety Department must maintain a daily crime log, which lists all crimes reported to the Police and Safety Department that are committed on campus and on public grounds immediately adjacent to the campus. The crime log must contain information concerning the nature, date, time, and general location of each crime, and the disposition of the incident, if known. The crime log for the Mercyhurst University Erie campus is maintained at the Police and Safety Office. Mercyhurst University students, faculty, administrators, staff, and the general public can view the crime log anytime.

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Provided that the student's eligibility is confirmed, verification is completed, and the student's enrollment is verified on the census date, financial aid funds are disbursed electronically to the student's Mercyhurst student account after the census date. The census date is the morning after Drop/Add as published in the official academic calendar. Disbursement continues on a daily basis thereafter through the end of the term or semester (for days in which the university is open for business). Refunds are issued approximately three weeks after the start of the term.  

Drug and Alcohol Abuse

Mercyhurst strives to create a safe learning environment for students and discourages the irresponsible use of alcohol, and drug abuse. There are policies and procedures in place to protect our students from the dangers involved with this type of activity and counseling services available to help those in need. Our annual campus security report provides more information on the incidence of these issues on campus.

Entrance and Exit Loan Counseling

Students who borrow federal student loans are required to complete an entrance counseling session and an exit counseling session. Each session describes the financial responsibility the student will be undertaking, details about loan interest rates, and loan repayment options. Our entrance and exit loan counseling page provides more information on the university's resources for students who borrow federal student loans.

Equity in Athletics

Our Equity in Athletics report provides a customized reporting tool for public inquiries about equity in athletics. Each school must submit data annually to stay in compliance with the federally mandated regulations.

Evacuation and Emergency Notifications

The Mercyhurst Evacuation and Emergency Notification policies and procedures can be found in the our annual campus security report.

Federal Refund Policy

The Financial Aid Office is required by federal statute to determine how much financial aid was earned by students who withdraw, drop out, are dismissed, or take a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term.

For a student who withdraws after the 60% point-in-time, there are no unearned funds. However, a school must still complete a Return calculation in order to determine whether the student is eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. The calculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV funds formula:

Percentage of payment period or term completed is the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the payment period or term. (Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term.) This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid.

Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using the following formula:

Aid to be returned is (100% of the aid that could be disbursed minus the percentage of earned aid) multiplied by the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during the payment period or term.

If a student earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds and the student would be required to return a portion of the funds. Keep in mind that when Title IV funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a balance to the institution.

If a student earned more aid than was disbursed to him/her, the institution would owe the student a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of the student's withdrawal.

The institution must return the amount of Title IV funds for which it is responsible no later than 45 days after the date of the determination of the date of the student's withdrawal. Refunds are allocated in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans (other than PLUS loans)
  • Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a Return of funds is required
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants for which a Return of funds is required
  • Other assistance under this Title for which a Return of funds is required


The information provided under the student section includes information about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). This federal law protects student privacy and provides for review and disclosure rights of the student’s records. The university's FERPA notices and discolusures provide more information on our specific FERPA policies.

Financial Aid Forms

General financial aid and verification forms are listed on our cost and financial aid webpage and updated annually.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Students may be eligible to utilize certain types of financial aid funds to study abroad for a semester or more while attending Mercyhurst. There are limitations and certain criteria which must be fulfilled in advance if using financial aid to pay for a portion or all of the expenses abroad.

Our study abroad FAQs webpage provides more information on frequently asked questions associated with our study abroad program cost.

Financial Information

Mercyhurst University, in accordance with federal tax disclosure regulations regarding the availability of Federal Form 990 and 990-T by tax-exempt organizations, will provide our financial, governing documents and Conflict of Interest Policy available to the public upon request by contacting the Director of Finance at 814-824-2390.

Fire Log

The fire log includes the nature of any fire, date and time of the fire, date the fire was reported and a general location of the fire. The fire log for the Mercyhurst University Erie  campus is maintained at the University Police Department. Mercyhurst University students, faculty, administrators, staff and general public can view the fire log anytime. Our Annual Security and Fire Safety Report provides more information on our fire log.

Fire Safety Report

The Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Clery Report and Fire Disclosure Report and includes information concerning fire safety and education, statistics, policies and procedures, the fire log, and other fire safety related information .Our annual campus security report provides more information on our fire safety report. 

General Student Information

The information provided under this section will allow students to access general information about Mercyhurst University. This includes general school informationdirections to the school, a campus map, as well as employee contact information

Graduation Rates

Our Erie campus graduation rates table provides information on graduation rates for our main campus in Erie.

Hazing Report

In accordance with the Pennsylvania anti-hazing law, the university has updated its Anti-Hazing Policy and created a five-year report of all alleged hazing incidents.

2017-2018 Hazing Report
2018-2019 Hazing Report
2019-2020 Hazing Report
2020-2021 Hazing Report
2021-2022 Hazing Report

Institutional Refund Policy

If a student fully withdraws from the university after a semester or term has begun, a percentage of tuition charged for that term or semester will be refunded as follows:

  • 100% during the first week
  • 80% the second week
  • 70% the third week
  • 60% the fourth week
  • 0% the fifth week and beyond

For fees, a 100% refund will be given during the first week; and no fee refund thereafter.

Mercyhurst uses a census date which is the final registration status the morning following the last day of the drop/add period. 

After the first week of the semester, there is no financial adjustment when a student drops from full-time to part-time.

Mercyhurst adheres to the Federal Refund Policy for all students who receive Title IV Federal Funds. If a student completely withdraws from the university within the first 60% of the semester, all or a portion of federal aid may be returned. These policies are outlined in the Mercyhurst Catalog or can be obtained by contacting the U.S. Department of Education.

Late Fees

If payment is not made by the due date, or satisfactory payment arrangements are not made with the Office of Student Financial Services by the bill due date, a late payment fee of up to $300 will be applied to your account, your account will be placed on Business Office hold, and you may be deregistered from your courses. You will not be able to make changes to your registration, register for any additional courses, or receive grades/transcripts. Your balance must be paid in full by the specified semester due date. 

Past Due BalanceLate Fee Amount
$200 - $999$25
$1,000 - $1,499$50
$1,500 - $1,999$75
$2,000 - $3,499$150
$3,500 - $4,999$200
$5,000 - $5,999$250
$6,000 and up$300

Licensing and Accreditation

Mercyhurst University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and The Pennsylvania Department of Education to award  associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees.

The contact information for MSCHE and other accreditation entities can be found below in the event a student wants to file a complaint or grievance against the university.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West
Philadelphia, PA 19104
MSCHE website

PA Department of Education
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126
Student Complaints

In addition, the university strives to achieve specialized accreditation for all its eligible programs. Certain programs/units with specialized accreditation from professional accrediting agencies (non-state government agencies) can be viewed on our university accreditation webpage.  

Applicants or students interested in reviewing specific accreditation or licensure documents and materials may contact Dyan Jones at or 814-824-2535.

Missing Student Policy

Any individual on campus who has information that a resident student may be a missing person must notify the Office of Police and Safety as soon as possible. Note: In order to avoid jurisdictional conflicts when an off-campus and/or commuter student is believed to be missing, the reporting person should immediately notify local law enforcement authorities. The Office of Police and Safety will assist off campus authorities with these investigations as requested. Additional information on the Missing Student Policy can be found in the annual campus security report and Fire Disclosure Report.

Net Price Calculator

The Net Price Calculator takes a user's answers to specific questions to calculate an estimated cost of attendance and expected financial aid.

Nondiscrimination Policy

Please review the university's Nondiscrimination Policy webpage for information regarding our nondscrimination policy.

Out-of-State Refund Policies for Online Courses

Out-of-state online course refund policies are provided for students outside of the state of Pennsylvania that are enrolled in online classes.

Pennsylvania Department of Education

Documentation about teacher preparation programs can be found on the university's Accreditation webpage

Protection of Minors Policy

The university's Protection of Minors Policy establishes guidelines on interactions within the university community for those under 18 years of age.

Retention Rate

The retention rate is the percentage of students who enter the university one year and continue to the next.

The Erie Campus College Navigator site provides retention rate information for our main campus in Erie.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

All students must be making satisfactory academic progress at Mercyhurst University to establish and retain eligibility for student financial aid. Mercyhurst monitors satisfactory academic progress after the spring semester to provide students with early notification of their academic progress status for financial aid eligibility. A student’s entire undergraduate academic history will be considered when determining the academic progress status, including accepted transfer credits from another university. For more information, please review our Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Student Body Diversity

The Erie Campus College Navigator site provides diversity information for our main campus in Erie.

Student Grievance Policy for Online and Blended Courses and Programs

Mercyhurst students studying within the blended and online environment and living out of state who have a concern or grievance related to his/her blended or online course should work to resolve any disputes or grievances with Mercyhurst University internally by contacting the Office of Academic Affairs at or by calling 814-824-2268

If the issue has not been resolved to the student’s satisfaction, the student can contact their home state Department of Education  in order to file a complaint. This complete list of state agencies can be found provides a resource for student complaint information broken down by state.

Student Grievance Policy

Student grievances or complaints can arise related to matters involving academics, living arrangements, financial aid and billing, treatment by a person, group, or department, and other areas.  The university has several mechanisms in place to address student grievances or complaints that may arise.

If a student has an academic concern related to a course, faculty member, or program, it is best to go to the professor first for resolution. The student can also ask for assistance from their academic or faculty advisor. If these initial attempts to resolve the dispute are not effective, the student should bring the issue to the Department Chair. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome at the level of the Department Chair, the student may bring the issue to the Associate Dean and/or Dean of their College. If the issue is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction, the student should bring the issue to the Office of Academic Affairs. In cases where the student is not comfortable going to the Department Chair, Associate Dean, or Dean, they may bring the issue directly to the Office of Academic Affairs.

Students may file complaints related to their living arrangements including roommate issues, noise, or maintenance concerns by first working through their Resident Assistant, Hall Director, or Assistant Director of Residence Life.  If the complaint is not sufficiently resolved, students should contact the Office for Residence Life at

Students may file complaints regarding financial aid or billing directly to Student Financial Services either by visiting the front counter in 115 Old Main, emailing or by visiting their individual Financial Aid Counselor in Egan Hall.

Students who wish to file a grievance involving disability services, can file a complaint through the ADA Coordinator by emailing Additional information is available on under the ADA Accommodations heading above.  

Complaints related to an employee of Mercyhurst University can be filed directly with the Office for Human Resources via   

Complaints or grievances regarding sexual or gender-based misconduct can be filed in accordance with the university’s Title IX and Sexual Misconduct policies, found on this webpage.  

Complaints related to all other forms of illegal discrimination or harassment, or any other type of complaint not listed above can be filed with any member of the senior administration for referral to the appropriate office. Additionally, complaints of violations of the university’s non-discrimination notice can be filed through via our grievance form.

Additionally, students can find contact information for all university accreditors and licensing agencies should they wish to file a complaint against the university or a program via the Accreditation webpage.  

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Students receiving federal financial aid have rights and responsibilities associated with their borrowing.

Student Right-to-Know Act Information

Information on student body diversity, retention rates, graduatation rates, and other information about the campus is made available through the Department of Education's College Navigator.  

The Erie Campus College Navigator site provides student right-to-know information for our main campus in Erie.

Prospective student athletes who receive offers of athletic aid will receive right-to-know information directly from the NCAA upon being added to our institutional request list (IRL).

Students Convicted of Possession or Sale of Drugs

A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for FSA funds. Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Federal Student Aid. A student may regain eligibility the day after the ineligibility period ends or when he successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program.

Title IX - Sexual Harassment Policy

In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendment Act of 1972, Mercyhurst University prohibits discrimination based on sex in its educational and athletic programs, as well as in extracurricular activities sponsored by the University. To ensure compliance with Title IX and other federal and state civil rights laws, the University has developed Title IX policies and procedures that prohibit sex discrimination in all forms. 

If you have any questions, or would like to report a TItle IX incident, contact Ann Miller, Title IX Coordinator, by email at or by phone at 814-824-2363.

Vaccination and Health Record Policy

Students are advised through the admissions process of the need to complete the Health Record and appropriate vaccinations. Prior to move-in day, all new incoming students will provide the Cohen Health Center with a completed Health Record. This includes all freshmen, first-year transfer students, and first-year graduate students. This Health Record includes the results of a recent physical examination, immunization history, TB screening interview, and any recommended TB testing or follow-up. The student’s physician/health care provider must complete and sign the Health Record. 

All incoming students living in university housing are required to have the meningococcal conjugate vaccine that protects against infections caused by serogroups A, C, Y, and W135. Proof of the meningitis vaccine (or a signed waiver) must be provided prior to the student move-in date, and will be verified at or before the time of move-in. Per Pennsylvania law, students are not permitted to move into university owned housing without proof of the vaccine (or waiver). Incoming students living in campus housing whose meningococcal conjugate vaccine was given more than three years prior to the start of the academic year are strongly encouraged to receive an additional vaccine before starting the year in order to assure adequate levels of immunity. In addition to meningitis, Mercyhurst requires that all incoming students, whether residing in campus housing or not, have had the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine series. Students not providing proof of MMR or a completed Health Record jeopardize their ability to register for classes for the upcoming semester. 

The following vaccines/vaccine series are strongly recommended:  serogroup B meningococcal, tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap), polio, varicella (chicken pox), hepatitis B, hepatitis A, and human papillomavirus (HPV). Pneumococcal vaccines for students with certain medical risk factors are also recommended, and the student’s physician can identify whether the vaccine is warranted. All students are also strongly encouraged to receive annual flu vaccines.

In the event of an outbreak of vaccine-preventable diseases, the university will consider and may require temporary exclusion of non-immunized students from school in order to reduce the spread of the disease. Financial refunds or additional time to make up any missed coursework are not guaranteed in the event of mandatory absence under this policy. 

Contact the Cohen Student Health Center at 814-824-2431 with questions.

UPDATE 8/14/2023: The university updated its vaccination policies for students and employees in the wake of escalating cases of measles nationally.

Voter’s Registration

The U.S. government voter’s registration page provides the necessary forms that must be completed to be registered to vote.

Withdrawing from the University

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from the university fall into two categories, medical leave withdrawal and students withdrawing for reasons other than a medical leave.  Whether withdrawing from the university or requesting a medical leave for the remainder of the semester, students are encouraged to talk with Student Financial Services for information on impacts these actions have on financial aid and refunds. Students should also discuss academic impacts or conditions for return with the Office of Academic Services and Support. 

Medical leave withdrawal:

In some circumstances, a student may request a medical leave from the university for the remainder of a current semester and/or the following semester, due to specific medical or behavioral health concerns. Students seeking a medical leave should contact Mercyhurst's Executive Director of Wellness and will be asked to provide documentation as needed to support that withdrawal. The Executive Director of Wellness will verify that clinical criteria supporting a medical leave appear present and will recommend the leave to the Office for Academic Affairs.

When a student is assigned a medical leave, the student will withdraw from a semester with W grades for any classes that have not been completed. A medical leave may impact federal aid depending on the point in the semester the withdraw occurs. Students should discuss this during the medical leave process.

Students requesting a return from a medical leave taken for medical or behavioral health reasons are encouraged to work closely with their health care providers, and to contact the Executive Director of Wellness at least a month before the desired return date to campus. This permits time to contact providers and verify readiness to return. Our Student Medical Leave Policy provides more detailed information on the medical leave process.

Student withdrawing for reasons other than a medical leave:

Students must complete a withdrawal form available in the Office of Academic Services and Support in Egan 123 in conjunction with an academic support counselor. As part of this process, students complete a checklist indicating the general reason for their withdrawal (ex. family circumstances, finances). 

Withdrawals may result in the assignment of a grade of ‘F’ for all courses in which the student is currently enrolled and possible separation from the university. The student may also forfeit any rights of readmission to the university. Students should refer to the Academic Calendar for the last day to withdraw from a course in order to receive withdrawal (‘W’) grades. Withdrawal after this date will result in ‘F’ grades. 

Every student receiving a federal grant and/or loan who completely withdraws officially or unofficially within the first 60% of the semester is subject to a Title IV Return of Federal Funds review. This review will determine the portion of federal funds the student earned and the portion of federal funds the school must return to the Department of Education. Please refer to the Refund Policy in the Mercyhurst University Catalog for complete details.  

Students that receive all ‘F’s for a semester who did not formally withdraw will be reviewed by Student Financial Services to establish the student’s last date of attendance. If a student ceased attendance for all classes before 60% of the semester was over, that last date of attendance will be used. If a last date of attendance cannot be determined, the Student Financial Services Counselor is required to process an “unofficial” withdrawal date using the mid-point of the semester to calculate unearned federal funds that must be returned to the appropriate federal aid program. 

Please note that although students can withdraw from a semester with ‘W’ grades, Student Financial Services must review and adjust federal aid disbursements made to any student receiving federal grants and/or loans based on their last date of attendance or unofficial withdrawal date. The student is responsible for any returned federal funds that results in a balance due on their student account. If payment is not made, the student will be liable for all reasonable collection costs, including attorney fees and other charges necessary for the collection of any amount not paid.

NOTE: Current students, prospective students, current employees, and prospective employees who need assistance accessing any required consumer information may contact Ms. Amy Danzer, Accreditation Coordinator, at 814-824-2585