HAFENMAIER COLLEGE OF HUMANITIES, ARTS, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
Explore the diversity and meaning within the human experience.
The disciplines within the Hafenmaier College seek to illuminate the variety and complexity of human endeavors in the cultural context of individuals, groups, societies, and nations. As our world becomes more and more interconnected, it is crucial that the next generation of leaders is aware and knowledgeable in disciplines that study what makes us unique as individuals and similar in our humanity.
The humanities are no longer mere “soft skills,” but tangible, sought-after attributes that employers actively seek out in their candidates. Through your engagement in the humanities, arts, and social sciences, you’ll learn to research complex issues, conceive eloquent arguments, and expand your artistic expression to a deeper and more meaningful level. The Hafenmaier College will equip you with the ability to communicate well orally and in writing, initiate positive change through teamwork and collaboration, and create images and texts that connect us with one another.
- Sail on the U.S. Brig Niagara with the history department! Students have the opportunity for a 3-week experiential learning trip as they sail Lake Erie, visit ports, and learn about maritime and Great Lakes history as members of the crew of a fully-functioning ship.
- The Cummings Art Gallery regularly houses installations by regional and national artists as well as student artists, including juried shows and thesis exhibitions.
- Psychology majors develop original research projects that explore topics ranging from smoking addiction to eating disorders to gambling.
- Mercyhurst’s annual Literary Festival welcomes essayists, novelists, and poets to campus for several days of readings and workshops for our creative writing students.
- Anthropology students participate in hands-on field research to improve their excavation techniques, conduct research projects to enhance their analytical skills, and go on field trips to learn about prehistoric artifacts in museums.
- Each year, Mercyhurst students contribute to, edit, and design Lumen, our award-winning literature and arts magazine.
- What better way to learn about art than to experience it firsthand? Our graphic design majors head to art museums in Pittsburgh and Cleveland and check out major art shows twice a year.
The disciplines within the Hafenmaier College seek to illuminate the variety and complexity of human endeavors from introspective thought to social engagement in a cultural context of individuals, groups, societies, and nations. Through the human expression of beauty in art, dance, music, and theater, and the timeless pursuit of wisdom and understanding in philosophy, religion, and literature, we seek to explore the mystery of being human by bridging what has been, what is, and what will be in our quest for understanding.
Early Childhood Education
Early Childhood/Special Education
Arabic and Islamic Studies
Professional Writing: Text, Image, and Design
Religion and Society
Teaching English-Language Learners
1–2 Year Programs
Christina Riley-Brown, Ph.D.
Dean, Hafenmaier College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Office: Hirt 301
Meet the Deans
Dean, Hafenmaier College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, Interim Dean, Walker College of Business
Associate Dean, Hafenmaier College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, Professor