Applying for Financial Aid

To be considered for financial aid, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed and submitted to Mercyhurst University. The FAFSA may be filed entirely online on the website. Mercyhurst University's Title IV code, 003297, will need to be listed on the application.


Most students must rely on educational loans to cover at least some portion of their educational costs. Student loan borrowing is an investment in your future. When deciding to borrow, it is very important you are obtaining the best possible loans available to you in terms of interest rates and repayment options.

Federal student loans are the most favorable type of educational loans for students. You are advised to first consider all federal loans for which you qualify before considering private educational loans.

Federal Student Loans

For graduate or professional students, the federal government offers Direct Loans and Direct PLUS Loans. You must fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to apply for either of these loans.


Direct Loans

Direct Graduate PLUS Loans


Loan Amount

Up to $20,500 for each academic year of study (The total aggregate loan limit for undergraduate and graduate loans combined is $138,500.)

Up to the cost of attendance (determined by your school) minus any other financial assistance you receive (including Direct Stafford Loans)



Unsubsidized—Not based on financial need

Based on your credit history (must be in good standing)



Begins 6 months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment

Begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed, but will be placed on deferment while enrolled at least half-time and six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment


How to Apply

File FAFSA, Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN), and Entrance Counseling

File FAFSA, Complete PLUS MPN, PLUS Loan Application, and Entrance Counseling


Please select the links below for more information and the application process.

Federal Direct Loan (unsubsidized)
For graduate students with or without need enrolled at least half-time. Visit this site to complete Direct Loan MPN and Entrance Counseling as well.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
This program is available to graduate students enrolled at least half-time, who need funding beyond the Direct unsubsidized loan. Visit this site to complete the Graduate PLUS MPN and Entrance Counseling as well.

Private Alternative Loans

Students who need additional funds after considering the federal student loans listed above or students who are ineligible for federal aid - may need to apply for an alternative loan. You are strongly encourage to pursue federal loans first. For more information on a small sample of private alternative loan lenders, you may visit or complete your own search of lenders via an internet search engine.