SUMMER DANCE EXPERIENCE
Summer Dance Experience 2022: July 11-29, 2022
The Mercyhurst University Dance Department is delighted to offer an in-person Summer Dance Experience for 2022. Residential and commuter options are available, but enrollment is limited in order to comply with COVID-19 protocols and to create a rigorous and nurturing environment. The program is open to dancers who have a minimum of 4 years of ballet training (pointe is not necessary) and are between the ages of 12 and 22 by the time classes begin. Come dance with us!
Quality Education: We provide summer extracurricular dance education with a solid foundation in ballet, kinesthetically sound practices, artistic exploration, and intellectual growth through seminars and lectures.
- Valuable Introduction: We deliver a safe environment where students can become familiarized with a university/college setting while experiencing a diverse range of classes in a variety of dance genres and styles.
- Artistic Growth and Musicality: We encourage dancers to elevate all aspects of their craft by providing unique movement explorations supported by experienced musicians offering growth that can transfer to their year-round training program.
- Personalized Attention: We insist on small class sizes where dancers receive individualized attention that allows the student to progress exponentially.
- Experienced Faculty: We bring internationally acclaimed dance artists with broad perspectives to Erie to work with the students. Mercyhurst dance faculty and alumni as well as locally and regionally recognized dance educators share their unique experiences in the field as dancers, teachers, choreographers, administrators, and scholars.
- 9 to 10 a.m. — Pilates/Yoga/Dance Prehab
- 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. — Ballet Technique
- 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. — Lunch
- 1:30 to 3 p.m. — Pointe/Variations/Repertoire
- 3:15 to 4:45 p.m. — Contemporary/Modern/Jazz/Choreography
- 5 to 6 p.m. — Dinner
- 6 to 7 p.m. — Seminar: Artist Talk, College/Company, Nutrition for Dancers, Dance/Film, etc.
- Tuition (1 week): $475 (discount offered until May 15), $575 after May 15
- Tuition (2 weeks): $875 (discount offered until May 15), $975 after May 15
- Tuition (3 weeks): $1275 (discount offered until May 15), $1375 after May 15
- Chaperone fee (for students under 18 years of age at the time of the program, residential or commuter): $50 per week, due June 5
- Housing in Warde Townhouses: $125 per week, due June 5
- Lunch is available at the cafeteria, payable on site. (Townhouses have a full kitchen, and we will do weekly grocery shopping trips.)
If my child is 11 years old now, but will turn 12 by the time the program begins, are they eligible?
Yes, all students who were born on or before July 5, 2010 are eligible for the SDE.
Do students need to be on pointe to be eligible for SDE?
No. Although pointe is a core part of the classical ballet curriculum, students who are not ready for pointe work may take class off pointe; they will still be strengthening their technique.
When will I know if my child is enrolled?
Due to limited enrollment capacity, our registration form will not accept new signups when we've reached our cap. If you were not able to enroll because the program was full and wish to be placed on the waitlist, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Instructors
Summer Dance Experience
Check back for exciting guest artists being added soon!