FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
As an institution of higher education committed to fostering global understanding and awareness, Mercyhurst University offers many learning opportunities for students from around the globe. Mercyhurst attracts students from nearly 50 countries. Learn what our international students have to say about how they chose Mercyhurst and what their experience has been like! Visit our School Apply page here.
Traditional Undergraduate Admissions
Students with demonstrated English proficiency (IELTS of 6.5+) are invited to apply for admission as an undergraduate student. Traditional undergraduate students enter into an academic program of study directly and are not required to take additional English courses. For graduate international admissions, please visit our international graduate admissions page. For questions regarding admissions, contact Brooke Fischman, International Enrollment Counselor at email@example.com.
Students who wish to apply for undergraduate admissions should submit the following:
- Complete our streamlined online application
- If your records are written in a language other than English, translation of the documents into English and a statement attesting to the accuracy of the translations must be submitted (notarized)
- If English is not your first language, your scores on the TOEFL and/or IELTS may be required, with a TOEFL score of no less than 79, and IELTS score of no less than 6.5. Mercyhurst University will also accept a score of no less than 100 on the Duolingo English Test. Applicants with SAT/ACT scores or 2+ years of full-time English curriculum may apply for a waiver by contacting Brooke Fischman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Original test score results of the ACT or SAT (if available; however, if you plan to participate in inter-collegiate athletics, they are required)
- All students are required to meet minimum health insurance coverage while enrolled at Mercyhurst University. For more information, please visit our Student Health Insurance page
- A photocopy of your passport photograph page
- Completed 2019-2020 International Student Financial Aid Application
- If you are transferring from a university located outside of the United States, you must use World Education Services to evaluate your transcripts. Please use "Course-by-Course Report"
All undergraduate students are required to live on campus during all four years of study. Mercyhurst University offers numerous housing options, and further information about our on-campus housing can be found here.
Once You Arrive
- Attend your mandatory new student Summer Orientation. More information about Summer Orientation can be found here.
- Check your Mercyhurst email regularly for instructions on how to maintain F-1 status, enroll in health insurance, and update your SEVIS record
- Keep in regular contact with the Office of International Relations
Cost and Aid
In addition to tuition, fees, room and board, international students should consider additional costs they may incur, such as books, health insurance and personal expenses. Use the currency converter to get a better idea how these costs translate into your currency. To assist with college costs, scholarships for international students are available; students receiving international student scholarships are with the understanding that the student lives on campus and participates in a campus meal plan at a level determined by the university. Awards vary and are awarded to International students with strong high school academic achievements and financial need. Mercyhurst seeks to assist deserving students in affording their education, but all are expected to contribute to the total cost of their education. For questions regarding financial aid, please contact Brooke Fischman, International Enrollment Counselor, at email@example.com.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations require that 14 percent of non-qualified scholarship and fellowship payments (tuition benefits that exceed the cost of tuition and fees) paid to F and J visa holders be withheld as federal income tax. When applicable, this withholding will be applied to students’ Mercyhurst bills as a fee at the beginning of each semester.
Mercyhurst University is committed to ensuring that all of our international students have access to health care while living in our community. Therefore, all F1 and F2 international students (undergraduate, graduate and adult) sponsored through Mercyhurst's SEVP program will be automatically billed for the Mercyhurst University Student Health Insurance Plan. This charge will appear on the student's bill, along with student tuition, fees and other expenses of university life. This insurance plan is, on average, $1,000 (U.S.D.) per semester.
If you have access to health insurance that is valid within the U.S., and meets the standard of coverage required by Mercyhurst, or if you need more information, please visit our Student Health Insurance page.
Multicultural Student Services
Multicultural Student Services assists with the educational, cultural, social and personal needs of all students, with special emphasis on ethnic, gender and minority issues. The primary focus is to develop leaders and scholars and to create campus-wide awareness of socio-economic issues, while bridging the gap between students and faculty. We also provide personal support, leadership development, professional development and a diverse resource library. Multicultural Student Services works with the International Office to host several fun and exciting events throughout the year, including:
- International Night
- International Day of Peace Observance
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration
- World AIDS Observance
- Cultural Awareness Week
Academic Support Services
We realize that sometimes balancing the demands of college can be a bit overwhelming, especially for international students. That's why The Office of Academic Support provides several support services to help international students with a variety of academic concerns. Our dedicated staff is ready to assist students with any of the following:
- Concerns about academic performance
- Navigating the college environment
- Registering for classes
- Understanding academic requirements
- Change of major and transcript requests
We also offer academic workshops at various points in the semester. Previous workshops have included study skills, test taking, and note taking.
Please contact the Office of Academic Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tutoring and Writing Center
The Tutoring Center offers one-on-one or small group tutoring in most subject areas, including English language support. Many international students benefit from seeking both content tutoring as well as English language tutoring, which can help understand readings and specific vocabulary. Tutors are current Mercyhurst students, and tutoring is completely free! Students seeking tutoring can schedule an appointment via TutorTrac, the University’s tutor scheduling software, at mercyhurst.go-redrock.com. Students seeking tutoring for a class for which there is no tutor schedule in TutorTrac may request a tutor by emailing the Tutoring Center at email@example.com. Please visit the Tutoring Center’s Portal page at tutoring.mercyhurst.edu.
The Writing Center is located on the first floor of the library. Writing consultants help students at any stage in the writing process, including analyzing and understanding the assignment; revising and editing a rough draft; using correct citation styles: MLA, APA, or Chicago style; and incorporating professor’s suggesitons about a draft. Students may bring in any writing project for any class. Students can come in during drop-in hours or make an appointment with a consultant via TutorTrac (mercyhurst.go-redrock.com). Find the latest Writing Center information via Twitter and Facebook (@WritingCenterMU) or search for us on the my.mercyhurst Portal.
Want to learn more about Mercyhurst University? Please complete the inquiry form below, and somone will be in touch with you soon!
International Recruitment Agents
Are you an international recruitment agency? We look forward to expanding our international footprint and welcoming new partners into our International Admissions Partner community. If your company is interested in becoming a commissioned agent please complete the International Admissions Partner Application form below.
Enrollment Partners Reception
On Friday, October 25, Mercyhurst is welcoming high school guidance counselors, transfer coordinators, international agents, independent counselors, and other enrollment partners to campus for our Enrollment Partners Reception. This event allows our enrollment partners to interact with faculty members, meet current students, tour campus, and enjoy lunch in our dining hall.