ONLINE MASTER OF SCIENCE
Customize curriculum to your professional goals while you improve your teaching practice and advance your career with a master’s in teaching degree at Mercyhurst University.
Tailored to your passions, our completely online master’s degree meets your — or your district’s — interests while fulfilling ACT 48 requirements. Designed for K-12 educators, you can enhance your skills as a master educator and gain practical experience.
Core courses focus on evidence-based pedagogy, professional development, and educational scholarship to prepare you for success in the classroom and your career. You’ll earn a master of teaching degree that can improve your teaching practice — and boost your salary.
This flexible master of science in teaching provides you a personalized path to PDE endorsements, the PDE ELL specialist certificate, or PDE Principal Certification. If you want one of the fastest and most flexible programs in the region, look to Mercyhurst.
- Options: Master’s
- Location(s): 100 percent online coursework; school-based clinicals
- Credits: 30
- Duration: Minimum 12 months
- Cost: $894 per credit; $27,620 total
- Deadline: Rolling admissions
- Start term(s): Summer (preferred), Fall, or Spring semester
- Careers: Educator
Improve Your Teaching Practice
Increase Your Salary
Finish in 15 Months
Why a teaching master’s degree from Mercyhurst?
Are you driven to enhance your teaching practice through a practical-based master’s program? Do you want to grow professionally and increase your salary? If so, the Mercyhurst master of teaching degree is for you.
Earn a master’s degree in teaching and principal certification.
Our online teaching master’s degree program is a 30-credit degree for certified teachers in grades K-12. It provides a fast and customizable path to a master’s degree. The transfer-credit friendly program offers an expedited timeline so you can finish in just 15 months. In addition, you may elect to include the six courses required for the Principal Leadership Certificate.
Take coursework that fits your schedule.
We offer full 16-week courses and mini 6- to 8-week courses so you can adjust your course load to fit your life. Our rolling admission lets you start your master’s in teaching program when it’s best for you. Start in May, take your heaviest course load in the summer, then finish the following May.
Maintain balance while you earn your master of teaching degree.
Our personalized program lets you work independently yet feel supported. You won’t have to choose between the work you love and earning your master of science in teaching. Plus, you won’t have to take classes that don’t fit your goals. You will take only the courses that make you a better educator or principal.
Get reimbursed for your teaching master’s degree!
Whether you’re a novice or experienced teacher, you’ll see a solid return on investment from a master of teaching degree or principal certification. Our tuition is competitively priced to match most school districts’ reimbursement policies. Best of all, it positions you for continued professional growth and future salary increases.
We welcome and support veterans.
Providing a supportive and engaging experience for veterans, service members, and their dependents earned Mercyhurst the designation of being a Purple Heart University. The honor recognizes our efforts to provide services to veterans and their families. The Purple Heart Scholarship is awarded to a veteran who was wounded in combat and is enrolled in online teaching master’s degree programs.
What can you do with a Mercyhurst master’s degree?
Our master’s in teaching degree programs let you fulfill Act 48, continuing education or professional education requirements, prepare for leadership roles, and increase your salary. You can receive PDE endorsements and enrich students’ lives through Teaching Leadership, Instructional Coaching, Online Design, as an ELL Program Specialist, or by earning your Autism Endorsement.
Mercyhurst Master of Teaching graduates earn titles of:
Mercyhurst Teaching Excellence graduates earn titles of:
- Certified Teacher
- Department Chair
- Instructional Coach
Career outlook with a Master of Science in Teaching degree.
The teaching master’s degree provides numerous options for professional growth and career enhancement. As a graduate, you’ll enhance your CV, build your skills as a master educator, and increase your salary potential. You can also advance into principal leadership.
The master’s in Teaching Excellence is a 30-credit (minimum) program. All students complete a set of five core courses, which focus on the theoretical underpinnings of education, innovative pedagogy to meet the demands of diverse learners, and analysis and conduction of educational research:
- EDSE 500 Foundation of Pedagogy & Practice
- EDSE 610 21st Century Literacies
- EDU 670 Internship
- EDSP 502 Educational Research
- EDSE 676 Thesis
The remaining five courses for the master’s (15 credits minimum) can be fulfilled through:
Through PLS, Mercyhurst offers instruction in integrated educational theory, research-based best practices and meaningful applications, providing measurable, transformational results for educators and the students. Courses are available online or on-site at convenient locations throughout the region, and each course offers three credit hours at the graduate level. Course instructors are experienced classroom teachers and provide real-life applications for your classroom.
In addition, PLS now offers micro-credentials in instructional coaching, blended and online teaching, new teacher induction, 21st century learning, teaching and assessment, and teacher leadership. This means while you’re working toward your master’s, you can obtain a PDE endorsement and a PLS micro-credential at the same time.
Pursue any of the following endorsements from the Pennsylvania Department of Education; courses you complete for these endorsements can count toward your master’s.
- Instructional Coaching Endorsement (9 credits)
- Online Design Endorsement (12 credits)
- ELL Program Specialist Certificate (18 credits)
- Autism Endorsement (12 credits)
- Teaching Leadership (12 credits)
If you’ve been teaching for more than a year, you can earn up to six credits for your experience (based on a portfolio review by our graduate faculty).
Have you already earned some graduate-level credits in education from another institution? Up to nine credits earned elsewhere should count toward equivalent coursework at Mercyhurst.
Mercyhurst electives for the master’s in Teaching Excellence include:
- EDU 501 Classroom Management
- EDU 502 Differentiated Instruction
- EDU 503 Cultural Competence
- EDU 504 Educating Net-Generation
- EDU 505 Professional Learner Teacher Effectiveness
- EDU 506 Blended & Synchronous Learning Design
- EDU 507 Building Online Collaborative Environment
- EDU 508 Facilitating Online Learning Communities
- EDU 509 Foundations of Literacy Beginning Reading
- EDU 510 Instructional Coaching
- EDU 511 Instructional Design for Online Educators
- EDU 512 Purposeful Learning Through Multiple Intelligences
- EDU 513 Reading Across the Curriculum
- EDSP 501 Behavior Management
- EDSP 504 Behavior Management Clinical
- EDSP 521 Psychology of Diverse Learners
- EDSP 522 Inclusive Practices
- EDSP 535 Assessment and Data-Driven Decision Making
- EDSP 536 Professional, Legal and Ethical Practices
- EDSP 540 Introduction to Autism and Clinical
- EDSP 541 Autism: Instructional Assessment and Methods
- EDSP 650 Functional Behavior Assessment and Intervention Development
- WL 501 Cultural & Linguistic Diversity Learner
- WL 512 Second Language Acquisition
- WL 514 Introduction to Sociolinguistics
- ELL 500 Teaching English as a Second Language
- ELL 505 Professionalism and Program Development for ELLs
- ELL 515 Supporting Literacy for English Language Learners
- OL 500 Leadership Theory and Practice
- OL 502 Leadership and Organizational Behavior
- OL 505 Organizational Ethics
- OL 530 Organizational Communication for Leaders
To apply for the master’s in Teaching Excellence, please provide the following:
- A completed (free) online application
- All official transcripts from accredited higher education institutions
- A personal statement of 300-500 words outlining the student’s personal, professional and educational goals
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- One recommendation from a supervisor, teaching colleague, or college faculty member (requested electronically via a widget in the application)
Get started on your master of teaching degree!
Enhance your teaching practice with the Mercyhurst master’s degree in teaching.
Submit your online application today for the online teaching master’s degree programs at Mercyhurst University.
Explore Financial Aid
Earn an affordable graduate teaching degree with competitive per-credit costs. To learn more, visit our Graduate Cost and Financial Aid webpage or contact us at email@example.com or 814-824-3351.
Request More Information
Complete this brief form to get request more information about the master of teaching program at Mercyhurst University.
Education Graduate Assistantships
Principal Leadership Graduate Certificate
PLS 3rd Learning Partnership
Graduate Course Catalog
Amy Burniston, Ph.D., Ed.D.
Chair, Department of Education
Office: Hirt 300D
Assistant Director, Graduate Admissions