Police & Safety
Mercyhurst University and the Department of Police & Safety are committed to providing a safe living and learning environment for its campus community. We are continuously striving to build and maintain a high level of cooperation between the entire campus community in order to focus on crime prevention and problem solving through awareness and education. Our staff consists of sworn police officers with arrest powers. Most of our sworn officers are experienced former State, Municipal, or Township Police Officers.
We work around the clock to maintain a safe atmosphere for students, faculty, staff, and visitors alike.
Understanding that the primary purpose of Mercyhurst University is education, and that this department is an integral part of Mercyhurst University, the mission of the department of police/safety is to provide and maintain safety, security, and tranquility to and within the entire Mercyhurst community. To accomplish its mission, the Mercyhurst University Department of Police and Safety perform both a law enforcement and security function within their jurisdiction. The diverse range of services provided by the Mercyhurst University department of police/safety includes, but is not limited to:
- Prevention, detection, and investigation of criminal activity
- Protection of student, employee, visitor, and college property
- Emergency response to medical incidents
- Police and security response at college events
- Parking regulation enforcement, traffic control, and motorist assistance
- General assistance to university students, employees, and visitors, as needed or when requested
- Development of crime prevention programs for presentation to the university community
- K-9 program to aid and assist in the detection of explosive devices, to include firearms, and the apprehension of the person(s) responsible for such acts
Although the Mercyhurst University Department of Police & Safety performs a law enforcement and security function, the department and its personnel strive to be viewed as advocates for, and not adversaries of the Mercyhurst University community, and strive further to maintain a professional, service oriented attitude and philosophy.
Police & Safety Office
Location: Lower Level of McAuley Hall
Phone: (814) 824-2304
Fax: (814) 824-3057
Need to contact the North East campus Police & Safety?