The Director of Athletics (AD) coordinates and manages all athletic functions on both the main Erie campus of the university and the North East campus. The AD reports directly to the Vice President for Student Life and has frequent access to the President. The AD provides visionary leadership, strategic planning, and policy development for the Athletics and Recreation Department. The AD creates and maintains a competitive intercollegiate athletic program within an academically rigorous environment that emphasizes academic success, retention and graduation. The AD ensures that the athletic program remains committed to the university’s mission and strategic priorities and creates a positive culture that promotes sportsmanship, ethical conduct, inclusion and a culture of compliance. The AD manages all employees, coaches and volunteers within the Department; supervises utilization of all athletic facilities; raises funds for the athletic program in coordination with the development office; maximizes visibility for the athletic program through effective public relations and media relations efforts; maintains strong working relationships with other departments on campus and with the external community; and directs planning processes to respond to current and future program needs and ambitions. The AD represents Mercyhurst University and the Department in a positive manner with a high degree of integrity and quality.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the athletic operation and development of the varsity, club and intramural programs and all athletic facilities on the main campus in Erie.
- Oversee athletic programs, coaches and staff at Mercyhurst North East.
- Assist in formulating policies and procedures governing athletic programs.
- Ensure coaches and athletes comply with governing body regulations, which includes the certification of varsity teams.
- Oversee departmental administrative duties, including (but not limited to): insurance coverage; athletic training procedures; facility oversight and scheduling; team transportation; budget preparation and monitoring; conference alignments; and compliance.
- Review and recommend candidates for coaching and support staff positions (athletic training, sports information, bus drivers, etc.), and oversee training for coaches and other employees.
- Supervise department employees, in accordance with university policies and applicable laws.
- Ensure compliance with applicable national association and conference rules.
- Appraise performance, provide feedback, and give guidance for all athletic personnel.
- Plan, assign and direct departmental duties and responsibilities.
- Implement appropriate strategies and programs to maximize revenue through fundraising, corporate partnerships, facility rentals and ticket revenues.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein and as may be assigned.
- Knowledge of principles of athletic administration; budgeting and personnel management; NCAA rules and regulations; Title IX compliance, gender equity and diversity.
- Strong leadership, management and team-building skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to execute strategic goals and mission with a university-first perspective and a customer-focused strategy.
- Ability to establish a clear and understandable vision for the Athletics and Recreation Department and build the operational components to execute the vision.
- Experience with directing, inspiring and motivating others, and measuring the performance and progress of people, teams and organizations.
- Ability to identify current and future challenges and propose and implement effective solutions.
- Successful negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate to a variety of audiences both external and internal to Mercyhurst University.
- Strong external relations skills and the ability to build partnerships within the community and generate revenue.
- Commitment to promote student-athletes' personal development, high academic achievement, and full participation in all aspects of university life.
- Commitment to work closely with the Senior Women’s Administrator to assure gender equity, affirmative action, and Title IX compliance; work to provide equal opportunities for all students to participate in intercollegiate athletics in accordance with university rules and state and federal laws.
- Proven ability and/or high interest in and aptitude for fundraising and donor development.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Sports Administration, Public Administration, Business or related field, plus six years of progressively responsible related work experience that includes a minimum of three years leading and/or supervising the work of others; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong commitment to the student-athlete concept and welfare. Strong external skills and a proven track record of revenue generation.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references to Mercyhurst University, Attn: Human Resources, 501 East 38th Street, Erie, PA 16546 or via email in PDF format to email@example.com.
Inquiries and questions about this position can be directed to Dr. Kurt Patberg, Senior Vice President of Athletics Staffing and Consultants, at kpatberg.ASC@gmail.com.
Review of the applications will begin on April 16, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled, with the understanding that the start date for the selected candidate is flexible.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Mercyhurst does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, citizenship status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, age, familial status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic or because of any individual’s legally protected activities. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States. Mercyhurst is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that encourages members of diverse groups to apply.