LOCATION: Erie Campus
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, 12 month, Exempt
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Residence Life & Student Conduct
DESCRIPTION: Mercyhurst University seeks qualified applicants to fill the position of Assistant Director of Residence Life & Student Conduct. This full-time, twelve-month, live-in position’s compensation includes a salary, university benefits, furnished apartment, cable, internet, and a local telephone service. Specifically, this position assists the Director of Residence Life in creating an environment that is conducive to experiential learning by providing educational programs and training the residence life staff. The Assistant Director is also responsible for communicating and enforcing university policy and serves as an adjudicator.
PRIMARY DUTIES include but are not limited to:
- Providing a residential environment that supports both academic and social development;
- Responsibility for the total management of apartment complexes/residence halls, including opening and closing buildings and maintaining a healthy and pleasant living environment by ensuring the maintenance upkeep of the residential buildings;
- Providing rotating weekday/weekend/break duty coverage across campus;
- Assisting in housing projects, organizing housing sign-up, Resident Assistant selection, and summer housing;
- Facilitating and participating in regular staff meetings with Resident Assistants, Graduate Assistants and supervisor;
- Responsibility for selecting, training, supervising, and evaluating graduate student assistants and RA staff; planning in-service staff training and providing regular feedback and evaluations of job performance;
- Selecting, training and supervising staff at residence hall area desks;
- Directing and responding to emergencies;
- Serving as a positive role model for students both on and off campus;
- Serving as the primary adjudicator for conduct issues in the AD’s residential area as well as serving on conduct boards and maintaining student conduct records;
- Referring residents for services as needed;
- Maintaining a safe living environment by enforcing university policies;
- Preparing publications for distribution;
- Participating in residence hall/apartment fire safety inspections;
- Regularly utilizing email and phone communications;
- Responsibility for various day-to-day operational and administrative duties;
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life & Student Conduct.
- Bachelor's degree is required, with a Master's degree in Higher Education, Student Services, Student Affairs, and Counseling or related area preferred.
- Experience in Higher Education or Residence Life is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with college student learning and development theories.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in student engagement on a college campus.
- Commitment to and knowledge of multicultural and diversity issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community including experience working with international student concerns.
- Effective supervision, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to motivate, develop, direct and train assigned staff including coordinating and supervising work.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and effectively prioritize among competing needs.
- Ability to utilize assessment to guide initiative development.
- Ability to respond appropriately to conflict and crisis
This position requires some evening and weekend hours. Vacation restrictions apply during times of peak activity in the department.
ABOUT MERCYHURST: Mercyhurst University, is a fully accredited, four-year, Catholic, liberal arts institution founded in 1926 by the Sisters of Mercy, who worked hard to make the college and the Erie community a better place. Today, Mercyhurst has evolved considerably. The university is home to more than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students immersed in more than 50 undergraduate majors with 67 concentrations as well as unique adult programs and eight graduate degrees.
In addition, Mercyhurst University offers 24 varsity level sports, all of which are competitive in either NCAA Division I or II. Furthermore, the university maintains its associate degree programs at a campus in scenic North East, just 20 minutes from Erie.
And in the spirit of our founders, Mercyhurst continues to play an important role in the community. Inspired by our motto, “Carpe Diem” (seize the day), our faculty and students are busy making a difference on and off campus – from “the Hill” to the far corners of the world.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Send cover letter, resume and list 3 work-related references (as one document) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add "Assistant Director – Residence Life & Student Conduct" in the subject line.
Mercyhurst University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages members of diverse groups to apply.