Assist in the planning, organizing and coaching of the Mercyhurst University football team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in field and classroom instruction and coaching in football techniques and strategy of the Mercyhurst University football team; evaluate individual performance and provide leadership and instruction in areas of deficiency as required.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent teams; assist in designing game plans and strategies.
- Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consult with University administration and faculty for resolution of problems as required.
- Screen and evaluate athletic qualifications of prospective football recruits, coordinate with University Undergraduate Admissions Office to establish academic eligibility and arrange meetings between prospects and the University; recommend individuals for football scholarships.
- Compile and assist in the analysis of game statistics for an assigned area of Mercyhurst football team performance.
- Assist in the planning and administering of the offseason physical training program; provide special training for individual football team members as required.
- Study, evaluate and recommend innovations in football strategy and equipment.
- Represent the Mercyhurst University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity, and alumni events.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or related field (Master’s degree in Kinesiology preferred);
- Minimum of two years in either professional football or coaching intercollegiate athletics required;
- Experience competing at the collegiate level is preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to evaluate physical performance related to the inter-collegiate football program;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Ability to effectively communicate both within and outside the College including, but not limited to, student athletes, parents, recruits, coaches, civic and business leaders required;
- Ability to work as a support individual within a group setting;
- Ability to provide effective leadership to student athletes to encourage both successful academic development and competitive performance.
- Must possess the physical skills necessary to demonstrate football techniques.
- Position involves both inside sedentary work and outside work on the field in coaching and training situations with student athletes;
- Demonstration of appropriate Football skills may involve strained muscles or orthopedic related injuries from running, tackling, blocking, kicking or throwing
- Major hazardous conditions can result from the operations of field maintenance equipment including, but not limited to, tractors, drags, and mowers;
- Exposure to fertilizer, lawn chemicals, and weather conditions.
- Must have current licensure for transportation of the team in vans or bus;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends;
- Must have current training in First-aid and CPR;
- Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment.
- Act 153 clearances required
Qualified candidates can submit a resume or application to:
Attn: Human Resources
501 E 38th St, Erie, PA 16546
Mercyhurst University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages members of diverse groups to apply.