Please use the information below as a primer for understanding what may be available to you or your dependents. This information is subject to change based on current and ongoing legislation, as well as federal and state budgetary issues. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the university's Office of Veterans Services at 814-824-2617.

Types of Benefits

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - For individuals who entered the military on or after July 1, 1985, had their basic military pay reduced by $100.00 per month for the first 12 months and have an honorable discharge.
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program - Provides training and rehabilitation for veterans with a service-connected disability with a rating of at least 20%.
  • Chapter 33 The Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon Program - For individuals who served 90 aggregate days of active duty service on or after 09/11/01 and have an honorable discharge. Starting in 2009 active duty service members may be eligible to transfer their Post 9/11 GI Bill® entitlement to dependents and/or spouses. Under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® students may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • John Fry Scholarship - Public Law 111-32, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001.
  • Chapter 35 Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA) - For dependents of a veteran who is 100% disabled or who has died from a service related injury or illness. A dependent may be a child under 26 or a surviving spouse.
  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - For persons who have enlisted, reenlisted or extended an enlistment in the Selective Reserve on or after July 1, 1985 and served for a period of not less than 6 years following the date of such action.

List not all inclusive. Inquiries concerning eligibility may be directed to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, (888) 442-4551.  Additional information is available on the Veteran's Administration website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademarked of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about educational benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

 Non-VA Military Benefits

  • Tuition Assistance (TA) for Active Duty and Reservists through their military branch and the Department of Defense (DoD)
  • Pennsylvania State Grants for children of POW-MIA
  • Pennsylvania State Grants for eligible veterans
  • Pennsylvania National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP) for members of the PA National Guard attending a PA college or university

Students who wish to use Non-VA Military Benefits should speak with their base’s Education Office, their Education Service Officer (ESO), or an education counselor within their military service, prior to enrolling at Mercyhurst University. 

The Mercyhurst Veterans Services Program Manager processes the enrollment verification for all VA and DoD beneficiaries, assists in the admissions process for veteran applicants, and assists in the admissions process for all other VA and DoD beneficiaries as needed.

Students who wish to utilize VA or DoD education benefits must meet with the Mercyhurst Veterans Outreach and Admissions Coordinator to ensure proper certification.

Applying for VA Benefits

To apply for VA benefits to attend Mercyhurst University:

  • Veterans, or those using Chapter 33, should complete an online application to the Department of Veterans Affairs:
    • Chapter 1606, 1607, 30, and 33 - New students should use VA Form 22-1990.  Transfer students should use VA Form 22-1995.
    • Chapter 35 - Use VA Form 5490 (Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance) for new applicants and VA Form 5495 for transfer students.
    • Chapter 31 - Your VA Rehabilitation Case Manager must provide you with VA form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status). A new form must be provided to Mercyhurst for each semester you wish to claim VA educational benefits.
  • Reservists or members of the National Guard obtain a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from their unit. Then you are able to complete an online application to the Department of Veterans Affairs:
  • All VA beneficiaries should provide the Veterans Services Program Manager with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (this document will be mailed to you from the VA after your application has been processed and your educational benefits have been approved).  National Guard beneficiaries should provide the Veterans Services Program Manager with a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility(NOBE) provided to you by your unit.
  • All Active Duty, Reserve, and Veterans should provide Mercyhurst with a copy of your Military Transcript for review.  Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corp, and Navy affiliates can obtain their transcript from the Joint Service Transcript System.  Air Force affiliates can obtain it from the Air Force.
  • Veterans must provide Mercyhurst with a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy).
  • Apply for financial aid by submitting your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  If you've never applied, you will first need to obtain a U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN).  Use Mercyhurst's school code, 003297, when completing these materials.

You can apply for your benefits and apply to Mercyhurst at the same time.  There is no need to wait!  This will help expedite your admissions process.

Monthly Certification of Attendance (WAVE) - All students who are receiving Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve, Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), or Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® must verify their enrollment via WAVE each month to receive payment. This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application or by using the Automated Telephone System at (877) 823-2378.

How to Get Paid or Pay Your Tuition - All VA and DoD beneficiaries, whether new students or current students, must turn in your Request for Certification Form to the Veterans Services Program Manager each semester after you have registered for classes.

It is the student's responsibility to make sure tuition and fees are paid in full.