Department: Undergraduate Admissions
Reports To: Director of Undergraduate Admissions
The International Enrollment Counselor and (P)DSO serves as a key member of the enrollment leadership team by developing and executing an international recruitment plan that supports the University’s overall enrollment goals and commitment to educating international students. In addition, the position is the first point-of-contact for international students as it relates to the university’s participation in the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). The International Enrollment Counselor provides needed support to students for issues relating to student visas, I-20s, and curricular and optional practical training (CPT/OPT).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) with the federal government for the purposes of the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Service as a DSO requires that the candidate be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. When eligible, the person in this role may assume responsibility as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO).
- Facilitate and certify I-20s for incoming students and provide for transfer in/out of international students matriculating from/to other institutions.
- Advise students on the F-1 visa program, include how to ensure the student maintains appropriate status during their studies.
- Provide counseling to new international students on a host of issues, including arranging bank accounts, obtaining driver’s licenses, completing tax documents, navigating health insurance, etc.
- Advise the Mercyhurst International Student Organization (MISO), the student club for international students.
- Provide support for students during their transition to the United States (e.g. airport pickups, shopping trips, etc.).
- In coordination with the director, review and process applications for international students interested in attending Mercyhurst.
- Manage a social media campaign for international enrollment.
- Modest (one to two trips per year) international travel to expand Mercyhurst’s reputation in key markets, in furtherance of the institution’s recruitment efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Per federal regulatory requirements, the International Enrollment Counselor must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
The successful candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree along with a minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in a college/university setting with experience advising or supporting students.
The successful candidate must demonstrate strong organization, time-management, interpersonal, and intercultural skills and will demonstrate experience and interest in working in multicultural and/or international settings.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The International Enrollment Counselor must demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Ability to work independently under limited supervision while incorporating the ability to effectively work with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook Express, etc.) is required.
- Proficiency in a foreign language along with the experience of living, working, and/or studying abroad is preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To apply for the position, qualified candidates can submit their resume/application to:
501 East 38th Street
Erie, PA 16546
Attn: Human Resources
Mercyhurst University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that encourages
members of diverse groups to apply.