LOCATION: Erie Campus
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, 10 month, Exempt
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Vice President for Mission Integration
DESCRIPTION: Mercyhurst University seeks qualified applicants to fill the position of Director of Campus Ministry. This full-time, ten-month position includes a competitive salary and university benefits. Specifically, this position provides oversight and direction for all Campus Ministry activities while serving to advance the Mercy and Catholic identity and mission of the university.
PRIMARY DUTIES include but are not limited to:
- Create a warm, hospitable atmosphere for students, faculty, staff and administration
- Assist the spiritual growth of students through individual pastoral counseling and spiritual direction
- Provide oversight and direction for all Campus Ministry employees and work studies
- Ongoing management of the Campus Ministry budget
- Provide ongoing educational and formational opportunities for team members and student leaders in Campus Ministry
- Develop student leadership while working with various student-led ministries, events, retreats, and programs for outreach and evangelization, including Carpe Diem retreats
- Advise the MYRACLE student-led retreat outreach
- Foster faculty, administrative and staff development through orientation programs, the Mercy Emissary program, presentations, and retreats
- Serve as a mission-centered resource and support for faculty and administrators
- Contribute to and assume varying levels of leadership for various mission-centered committees and initiatives
- Oversight of various alternative break and mission experiences
- Develop student leadership in programs for service, social justice, and human rights
- Challenge and encourage the University to be faithful to its mission and core values; confront moral and peace and justice issues when necessary
- Maintain a close working relationship with offices of Student Life, including Residence Life, Campus Involvement, and the Health and Counseling Center
- Work closely with the Vice President for Mission Integration and the Director of Community Engagement to further the University’s efforts in advancing the mission, vision and core values of the University
- Maintain a close working relationship with the University Chaplain and with relevant faculty and administrators
- Attend weekly staff meetings and periodic days of reflection
- Participate in regular one-on-one meetings with all Campus Ministry employees
- Provide support for and maintain a close working relationship with the North East campus ministry
- Maintain a close connection with the Diocesan Campus Ministry and with the Diocesan office for Education
- Maintain a close connection with local ecumenical and interfaith movements
- A Master’s Degree in Theology, Pastoral Ministry, Divinity or a related field
- A minimum of three years of experience working with college students and/or young adults
- The ability to drive for occasional overnight retreats, service projects and conferences
- Availability for several summer student orientation programs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Effective skills for leadership and administration, especially in the area of fostering student leadership
- Effective skills for communication, including adaptability with using various means of electronic communication
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to set appropriate boundaries with students
- Effective supervision, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Ability to motivate, develop, direct and train assigned staff including coordinating and supervising work
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and effectively prioritize among competing needs
- Ability to utilize assessment to guide initiative development
- Flexibility and adaptability amidst a changing student body and changing spiritual sensibilities of students
- Appreciation for and ability to work within the Roman Catholic tradition and the Mission and Core Values of Mercyhurst University
- This person must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with the Church
ABOUT MERCYHURST: Mercyhurst University, is a fully accredited, four-year, Catholic, liberal arts institution founded in 1926 by the Sisters of Mercy, who worked hard to make the college and the Erie community a better place. Today, Mercyhurst has evolved considerably. The university is home to more than 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students immersed in more than 50 undergraduate majors with 67 concentrations as well as unique adult programs and eight graduate degrees.
In addition, Mercyhurst University offers 24 varsity level sports, all of which are competitive in either NCAA Division I or II. Furthermore, the university maintains its associate degree programs at a campus in scenic North East, just 20 minutes from Erie.
And in the spirit of our founders, Mercyhurst continues to play an important role in the community. Inspired by our motto, “Carpe Diem” (seize the day), our faculty and students are busy making a difference on and off campus – from “the Hill” to the far corners of the world.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Send cover letter, resume and list 3 work-related references (as one document) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add "Director of Campus Ministry" in the subject line.
Mercyhurst University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages members of diverse groups to apply.