Under the general supervision of the Head Men’s Hockey Coach, the Assistant Men’s Hockey Coach will provide support and assistance with all aspects of the intercollegiate Men’s Hockey program. The Assistant Coach will work to provide optimal playing conditions for Mercyhurst University Men’s Hockey athletes which will include activities such as the supervision of the maintenance of the Hockey rink and the maintenance and security of all Men’s Hockey related equipment and supplies. The Assistant Coach will provide information and evaluations regarding recruits, roster development, and game personnel.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In cooperation with the Head Coach, the Assistant Coach develops and maintains a system to identify potential recruits and to work closely with area high school coaches and parents to recruit quality student athletes to Mercyhurst University;
- Serves as the primary conditioning coach for student athletes. The Assistant Coach develops and maintains an effective program of physical conditioning designed to develop strength and endurance;
- Works in conjunction with the Head Coach to encourage the development of psychological, social, and mental skills necessary for the student athletes to be successful in the classroom, on the rink, and in future endeavors;
- Works with Admissions and Financial Aid to expedite the registration, admission, and other administrative processing of all student athletes;
- Responsible for securing support staff including security, officials, and concession workers for all home games;
- Responsible for the maintenance of the playing surfaces of the Hockey rink and the supervision of student workers to assist in this process;
- Under the direction of the Head Coach, the Assistant Coach is assigned to work with selected athletes on various game day situations;
- Works with the Head Coach in developing line-ups, game strategies, and individual work-out and practice needs for various student athletes;
- Serves as a role model for the student athletes by exhibiting ethical and professional conduct at all times;
- Provides oversight of athletes residing in campus housing; reports damage(s), needed maintenance, security issues, etc. to Head Coach, Athletic Director, Chief of Police and Director of Residence Life.
- Represents Mercyhurst University at various civic event, throughout the community;
- Occasional public speaking engagements to promote the program may also be required;
- Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors or other employees.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Physical Education required
- Minimum of two years in either Professional Men’s Hockey coaching or intercollegiate coaching and NCAA athletics required;
- Experience competing at the collegiate level is preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be proficient in either GameBreaker, XOS or Steva Sports editing systems.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to evaluate physical performance related to the inter-collegiate Men’s Hockey program;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Ability to effectively communicate both within and outside the College including, but not limited to, student athletes, parents, recruits, coaches, civic and business leaders required;
- Ability to work as a support individual within a group setting;
- Ability to provide effective leadership to student athletes to encourage both successful academic development and competitive performance.
- Must possess the physical skills necessary to demonstrate Hockey techniques.
- Position involves both inside sedentary work and outside work on the field in coaching and training situations with student athletes;
- Demonstration of appropriate Men’s Hockey skills may involve strained muscles or orthopedic related injuries from checking, falling, or being hit by flying objects;
- Major hazardous conditions can result from the operations of rink maintenance equipment including, but not limited to, the Zamboni, ice removal, etc…
- Exposure to changes in temperature and cold conditions.
- Must have current licensure for transportation of the team in vans or bus;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends;
- Must have current training in First-aid and CPR;
- Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Qualified candidates can submit their resume/application to:
Attn: Human Resources
501 E 38th St, Erie, PA 16546
Mercyhurst is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that encourages members of diverse groups to apply.