The Admissions Counselor at Mercyhurst North East (MNE) is responsible for recruiting and assisting prospective Mercyhurst North East students with all phases of the application process - from completing the admissions application to choosing a program of study to navigating the complex financial aid progress. The Admissions Counselor acts as a direct liaison between the college and prospective students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist students/prospective students with all phases of application process, including financial aid, scholarship consideration, and selection of program of study. Excellent interpersonal skills and counseling knowledge are helpful to work effectively with students during this process.
- Read and evaluate undergraduate applications and manage all aspects of a prospective pool from the initial inquiry through enrollment phases.
- Create and maintain individual recruitment files and records from all applicants.
- Independently coordinate assigned admission programs as designated by Admissions Director.
- Conduct information sessions about Mercyhurst North East to varying size groups of parents and students.
- Participate in both on and off campus recruiting events such as regional college fairs, open houses and high school visits, including evening and weekend sessions.
- Arrange fall and spring travel schedule to accommodate schools within assigned territories in most cost-effective manner.
- Develop and foster relationships with high school counselors within assigned territories.
- Meet enrollment goals and deadlines as directed by department supervisor.
- Maintain records of prospective students, including applications, transcripts, test scores, and any other necessary documents.
- Assist students in the admissions process, including applications, transcript requests and financial aid.
- Review student applications and make a decision regarding acceptance and placement.
- Give tours of campus and provide information about the school and admissions process to prospective students and their parents.
- Contact students with incomplete applications, or students who have been referred to North East from the Erie campus about their application status.
- Some recruitment travel and presentations about Mercyhurst North East and our programs.
- Touring and interviewing prospective students.
- Contacting applicants through phone or e-mail to assist in the completion of their application.
- File FAFSA and other financial aid forms with students and families.
- Assist in organizing and helping with student orientation.
- Visit high schools and college fairs.
- Independently organize and implement events on campus
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university preferred; or one to two years related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have a valid Driver’s license; PACAC optional
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents; write routine reports and correspondence.
- Some knowledge of admissions policies and procedures as well as student personnel and counseling.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, administrators, faculty members, and others.
- Ability to maintain accurate records, assemble and organize data, and to prepare reports.
- Familiarity with basic computer software and email applications.
- Reading and comprehending correspondence is imperative.
- Adaptability to weather conditions during campus tours.
- Recruitment travel requires transportation of suitcase containing about 10 pounds of college catalogs. Also, extensive recruitment travel requires use of reliable car.
- Frequent standing, reaching, and light lifting are required in dealing with student files and recruitment materials and some walking is required when giving tours.
Interested candidates should submit resumes/applications to:
Human Resources Department
501 East 38th Street
Erie, PA 16546
Mercyhurst is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer that encourages members of diverse groups to apply.