- One of the highest honors a student can achieve in the field is to be inducted into Phi Sigma Iota, the international honors society for the study of foreign languages and cultures.
- To qualify, you must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a 300-level language course
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above
- Receive positive recommendations from language faculty
- Induction is held each spring at an annual dinner.
- For more information, go to the society’s website.
The Department of World Languages and Cultures received the Pennsylvania State Modern Language Appreciation Award in 2006.
Fulbright Teaching Assistants
- Mercyhurst is very fortunate to participate in the Fulbright Teaching Assistant program each year in Turkish and Arabic.
- The program brings young professionals to the U.S. to share their linguistic and cultural expertise as they offer courses in less-commonly taught languages, lead conversation groups and help to enrich our students’ understanding of the areas they are studying.
- 2013-2014 Fulbright Teaching Assistant in Arabic, Issam Aourik
Oral Proficiency Interview
All senior majors participate in an Oral Proficiency Interview in spring of the senior year, with an external evaluator. The resulting score is a highly valuable addition to resumes and graduate school applications, ranking a graduate’s proficiency in speaking his/her language of study.