Here are some of the experiential projects our students have worked on in just our first few years:
- Organized a city-wide “Pedal for the Planet Duathlon” that raised nearly $2,000 for the design and installation of bicycle racks in the city of Erie.
- Collaborated with community partners in an effort to establish a network of urban community gardens in Erie.
- Helped to lead middle- and high-school students in the city of Erie in conducting energy audits aimed at reducing energy usage and strengthening conservation.
- Spearheaded a successful effort to install a green roof on a wing of our science hall.
- Drafted the beginnings of our first-ever Mercyhurst Climate Action Plan directed toward our long-term goal of carbon neutrality.
- Mounted a successful campus-wide campaign to establish a Student Sustainability Fee/Fund to support green energy and other sustainability projects on campus.
- Engagement with a wide range of sustainable organic farming projects at our west Erie County campus in Girard, Pa., where an exciting array of additional sustainable development initiatives are now taking root.