Life After Graduation
- Graduates of the political science program have been admitted to nearly 50 different graduate programs in political science, public policy of public administration. See a list of graduate schools Mercyhurst Students have attended in recent years.
- In recent years, some of our pre-law graduates have attended law school at the University of Michigan, Penn State University and West Virginia University. See a complete list of law schools our students have attended within the last decade.
- Some of our graduates who decided to enter the workforce upon graduation have landed jobs working for the following:
- U.S. Senators
- Defense contractors
- Local and state governments
- The Environmental Protection Agency
- The Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Non-profit organizations
- For-profit organizations
- The National Security Apparatus
Experience as a Student
- Mercyhurst University is the only institution in the region that offers a polling center, which invites students to gain invaluable experience as interns or work study employees. Learn more about the Mercyhurst Center for Applied Politics.
- Two organizations within the department are:
- Pi Sigma Alpha
: a national political science honor society.
- Model International Organizations Team
: Introduces students international diplomacy.
- Students might also become involved in activities such as:
- An annual trip to Washington, D.C., where students' explore the nation's capital.
- Ad Hocs: A bi-monthly casual, but engaging discussion between faculty and students.
- AAPC Conference: An opportunity to meet campaign professionals.
- Annual end of the year picnic at Presque Isle State Park for students.
- In terms of internships, students have worked for non-profits, such as: the Lake Erie Region Conservancy the Pennsylvania College Democrats.
- The Democratic and Republican party organizations on campus hold debates during election years, and participate in voter registration drives.
About Our Faculty
- The Department of Political Science employs seven full-time faculty who have all earned their doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees.
- The Political Science department is the proud home of three of Mercyhurst University’s Teaching Excellence Award winners:
- Dr. Michael Federici in 2004
- Dr. Randy Clemons in 2007
- Dr. Brian Ripley in 2013