Mission & Learning Outcomes
Mission: The Hospitality Management Department fosters and promotes the spirit of hospitality consistent with the Mercyhurst mission of service to others and community. In keeping with the founding vision of Mercyhurst, hospitality students are prepared for industry leadership through a balance of liberal studies, business, and hospitality industry specific coursework. This balanced approach to higher education nurtures scholarship, creativity, and responsible stewardship for the global hospitality community. Hospitality Industry coursework and world class internships, supported by the Walker School of Business core, business curriculum, provides the student with a strong foundation in accounting, finance and management skills while building leadership, critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills required for success at the national and international levels.
- Demonstrate acquisition of skill related to technical systems used in hospitality outlets. (technology)
- Apply basic marketing concepts to industry promotion in all areas of concentrations. (marketing)
- Accurately complete and understand financial data related to areas of hospitality management curriculum. (finance)
- Apply knowledge of critical thinking to functional areas of hospitality business to identify, analyze and solve business problems. (problem solving)
- Demonstrate learned standards of professionalism while applying basic principles and theories of management independently and when working with others. (leadership)
- Apply classroom theory to experiential settings when in the lab setting and through cooperative learning experiences. (experiential learning)