A chemistry major at Mercyhurst has available several options that result in a broad and high quality preparation in mathematics and basic sciences. The chemistry major is well-suited to careers in industrial or governmental settings or for entrance into graduate school. A chemistry major can also prepare to teach science at grades 7-12 by satisfying the appropriate certification requirements.
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
- CHEM 121/122 General Chemistry I/Lab
- CHEM 131/132 General Chemistry II/Lab
- MATH 170 Calculus I
- MATH 171 Calculus II
- CHEM 240/241 Organic Chemistry I/Lab
- CHEM 242/243 Organic Chemistry II/Lab
MATH 233 Calculus III (Required for B.S. degree)*
- PHYS 201/203 General Physics I/Lab
- PHYS 202/206 General Physics II/Lab
CHEM 230/231 Quantitative Analysis/Lab
- CHEM 310 Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 331/332 Biochemistry I/Lab
- CHEM 314 Advanced Organic Chemistry or
- CHEM 335/336 Spectral Interpretation/Lab
- CHEM 333/334 Instrumental Analysis/Lab
- CHEM 341 Physical Chemistry I
- CHEM 343 Experimental Physical Chemistry
- CHEM 351 Physical Chemistry II
- CHEM 409 Seminar
- CHEM 410 Research I
- Major Elective Course
- Elective Course
- Elective Course
Recommended Elective Courses (Select 3 electives, 1 of which must come from this list)
- CHEM 420 Chemical Biology
- FRSC 360 Forensic Chemistry
- MATH 240 Differential Equations
- PHYS 310 Modern Physics
- PHYS 370 Optics
* The BA degree requires an additional Major Elective Course with a Lab component.
– To prepare for standardized exams, pre-medical students should enroll in Biochemistry I/Lab at the junior level.
– At least 121 credit hours are required for graduation. All of the courses listed here total 121-123.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
Same course requirements as the B.S. degree, except Calculus III is not
required. To replace these hours, an additional elective course with a lab component is required.