All applicants to Mercyhurst University who feel they would benefit from the Honors Program are encouraged to apply. We look at a number of factors when we consider students for the Honors Program.
A candidate should have a record demonstrating at least two of the criteria appearing in the bulleted list below. Successful candidates are usually able to demonstrate three or more.
- High-school GPA of at least 3.5 or 90%
- 1700 SAT (verbal/math/writing)
- 25 ACT
- Successful participation in AP or IB courses
- Class ranking in the top 10%
- Recommendation from the Director of International Admissions (for international applicants)
- We also look favorably upon a record of active participation in extracurricular activities. In addition to an introductory statement, all applicants must submit a two page (approximate) writing sample as part of their application. This writing sample should be different than the essay submitted as part as the application to the school.
Applications to the Honors Program may be sent in any time after application to the university. Review of Honors Program applications will begin March 1. Applicants should be aware that the number of openings to begin the Honors Preparation Year in the Fall term is limited; therefore, interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
To be considered for admission to the Honors Preparation Year in the Fall, all applications must be submitted by June 1. For questions regarding the application process please contact Elizabeth Bross in the admissions department.
The application is for incoming students only. Current and transfer students please contact director, Dr. Natasha Duncan.