The mission of the Department of Physician Assistant Studies (DPAS) is to prepare students with the highest quality academic and clinical training. The program will prepare physician assistants to be leaders in the profession, proficient in meeting the challenges of healthcare, while providing compassionate, quality care to the diverse communities in which they serve.
The department’s mission, vision and core goals were developed to align with the university’s mission, vision and core values. Emphasis has been placed on the Mercy tradition and healthcare core values to stay true to the basic principles set forth by our founders.
Mercyhurst University’s Department of Physician Assistant Studies will be at the forefront of the education of physician assistants who will excel in professional excellence and leadership. They will be advocates for just practices, policies and standards in the profession, and advocate for the right to good healthcare in society.
- Recruit successful student applicants.
- Provide curriculum to ensure the necessary knowledge and skills for entry into the physician assistant practice.
- Prepare graduates to enter the physician assistant workforce.
- Encourage social awareness to empower faculty and students to be agents of changes in the realm of service to the community.
- Inspire leadership in the profession and community.
Guided by our vision and core goals the Department of Physician Assistant Studies will use the following as indicators of success in achieving the mission:
- Analysis of applicant pool's overall and prerequisite GPAs.
- Class of 2017 Overall GPA - 3.52, Prerequisite GPA - 3.50
- Class of 2018 Overall GPA - 3.376, Prerequisite GPA - 3.568
- PANCE pass rates.
- PANCE pass rates will be posted when they become available after the first class graduates.
- Tracking of cohort's job placement rate.
- Job placement rates will be posted when they become available after the first class graduates.
- Tracking of student and faculty service locations and hours
- Class of 2017 has exceeded 500 hours of community service
- Locations include Sarah A Reed Children's Center, Carpe Diem Academy, Erie Community Shelter, & Honduras Mission Trip
- Class of 2018 has exceeded 130 hours of community service
- Locations include AHA Heart Walk, Operation Troop Awareness, & Habitat for Humanity
- List of student, graduate and faculty leadership and professional contributions