The Mercyhurst University Physician Assistant Program participates with the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). Please refer to the application process page for instructions. Individuals whose applications are viewed positively will be invited for a personal on-campus interview.
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university or evidence of expected completion of a bachelor's degree at the time of application. The undergraduate degree must be completed before matriculation.
- Applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) as calculated by the CASPA service.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) in prerequisite courses.
- Applicants must have 200 hours of healthcare experience (paid or volunteer).
- GRE verbal and quantitative reasoning scores will be used in the evaluation of the application. GREs must be completed within a 5 year time frame at application.
- Applicants are required to supply three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Applicants must submit a succinct personal statement that discusses professional goals in reference to the physician assistant profession.
- International students must submit official, notarized scores from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam and must meet the minimum score requirement of 550 for the paper based test and 79-80 for the internet-based test.
- Criminal background checks, including finger printing, child abuse clearance and drug screening are a prerequisite within the program. Drug screening results may limit the ability to obtain clinical training sites and can prevent a student from being promoted to the clinical phase of the program or recommended for graduation. Felony and Misdemeanor convictions can limit the ability of national certification, state licensure and clinical training experiences. The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is a good resource for guidance for concerns with background findings.
Entry into the program will be based on the completion of prerequisites, interview and space availability.
Preference will be given to equally qualified Mercyhurst graduates.
- Applicants must complete all prerequisite courses listed below with a grade of “C” or better before matriculation. Courses taken as pass/fail or for noncredit will not be accepted.
- A minimum of 12 credits of the prerequisite courses including physiology and microbiology must be completed within the five years prior to matriculation.
Credits | Course
8 Biology with labs
12 Chemistry with labs (General and Organic)
4 Biochemistry with lab
4 Anatomy with lab
4 Physiology with lab
4 Microbiology with lab
1 Medical Terminology
- All course work in the program must be taken in sequence. Transfer/advanced placement or life experience credit will not be offered.