In addition to Mercyhurst North East's standard requirements for admission, which include a high school diploma, a minimum GPA of 2.0, and either an ACT, SAT or MNE Placement Test score, individuals applying for admission to the Occupational Therapy Assistant program are subject the following standards:
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or GED recipient with minimum overall C average
- Appliant must have completed high school courses in algebra, biology AND chemistry, with a minimum grade of C in each course.
- Preference will be given to applicants with SAT scores at or above 900 (two section total) or a 20 composite score on the ACT test.
- Applicant may be required to take the MNE Placement Test (COMPASS) to determine placement in appropriate English and math courses.
- If an applicant does not meet the required scores to enter into College Writing I and/or Elementary Algebra, he or she must take preparatory classes. Placement into College Writing I and Elementary Algebra will enable the student to enter into the two-year track program of study. If preparatory English or Math are required, a three-year track will be recommended.
- The skills test is required for students who achieved below 900 on their SATs (two section total), students who achieved below a 20 on sections of their ACTs, or have never taken the SATs or ACTs, as well as those who have been out of school for several years.
- Applicant must have current CPR for the Health Care Provider certification before the start of classes.
- Applicant must have a recent physical examination and records of the following immunizations before classes begin:
- Hepatitis B
- One time dose of DTAP
- History of Chicken pox or Varicella Immunization
- Rubella, Rubeola and Mumps titers.
- Drug testing may also be required.
- Applicant must have a criminal record check and Child Abuse Clearance.
- Applicant must complete a total of 16 hours of documented work or volunteer experience in two different occupational therapy departments under the supervision of a licensed OT or OTA prior to the start of classes.
- Official, final transcripts are required before the start of classes.
NOTE on OTA Outcomes
OTA Program Graduation rates:
2011: 86% (7 of 8 students)
2012: 100% (7 students)
2013: 83% (5 of 6 students)
NBCOT Certification Exam Pass Rates:
||Number of Graduates
||Number of test takers within 12 months
||Number of test takers who passed the exam within 12 months
||Percentage of test takers who passed the exam within 12 months
Transferring in from another college? Transfers are welcome in this program, assuming we get a final, official college transcript from each college you have attended. If you still owe another college money, and cannot get a transcript, you will not be permitted to start classes. Check out our credit transfer policies to get an idea of what credits may transfer in.
If you should have any questions regarding your admission into the program, please contact this program's admissions counselor, Cheryl Sandberg, for more information by calling (814) 725-6279 or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).