Applicants to the Mercyhurst University Municipal Police Training Academy must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a current and valid driver's license
- Be a high school graduate or possess a GED
- Submit a Mercyhurst North East application.
- Pass a Basic Skills test and a Nelson-Denny Reading test
- Supply the admissions office with high school and college transcripts
- Call the Police Academy at (814) 725-6121 to set up an interview; look clean, neat and professional as if applying for a job.
- Complete all required forms obtained during the interview
- Pass all required tests for admission into academy
- Pass a pre-academy physical fitness test: 300 meter run, bench press, sit-ups, 1.5 mile run
- Obtain required uniform and equipment
- Agree in writing, on a form provided on the first day of training, to comply with all rules and regulations of the Police Academy.
The registration process is timely and time consuming, so please call one to two months prior to the beginning of classes starting in March or August.