Public Safety Institute
The Mercyhurst University Public Safety Institute is the primary provider of public safety training in the region. Headquartered at the Mercyhurst North East campus, the Public Safety Institute meets a vital need in today's society: training and educating public safety personnel including police officers, medical first responders, constables, corrections officers, probation and parole agents, firefighters, and public safety and criminal justice professionals. Not only does the PSI train those wishing to enter the public safety field, but also works with local and regional law enforcement, civic and public safety organizations to provide ongoing training and certifications to current practitioners.
The PSI also provides a number of services and public safety consulting to businesses and industries to ensure that their employees, operations procedures and facilities are safe, effective and successful.
- Criminal justice associate degree programs at Mercyhurst North East
- Municipal Police Academy (Act 120)
- Firefighter training (Fire Academy)
- Lethal Weapons training (Act 235)
- In-service police training (Act 180)
- Emergency management and preparedness training
- Training and assistance to private industries and businesses