Any graduate giving a year of full-time service after graduation (e.g. Mercy Volunteer Corps, AmeriCorps) will be recognized with a special blessing at the graduation baccalaureate service (Catholic Mass or Protestant Service) that he/she plans to attend. If you have been accepted into a year of service program, you must contact Colin Hurley, director of service learning at "firstname.lastname@example.org":mailto:email@example.com or call (814) 824-2471 no later than Tuesday, April 30 to be acknowledged.
h2. Mercyhurst University Service Honor Society
The Mercyhurst University Service Honor Society was established to honor graduating seniors who exemplify the University's mission-centered commitment to "Service to Others" through a commitment to and significant demonstration of:
* Significant and sustained service to the Mercyhurst University community and/or meaningful and mission-inspired service to the local community and/or larger world.
* Marked achievement in leadership
* Meritorious academic achievement
* Recognized integrity and commitment to excellence
To be eligible for consideration for induction into the Mercyhurst University Service Honor Society, a student must:
* Be a full-time undergraduate student
* Be a senior who has been certified to graduate in the current academic year
* Have a GPA of 2.75 or higher by the end of the winter term of the induction year
* Be recommended for induction through the completion of an official nomination form (students can be nominated by others or may nominate themselves)
* Complete and return by the designated deadline all materials requested by the Service Honor Society Selection Committee
Recommendations for induction will be made by the Service Honor Society Selection Committee to the President of the University, who will approve the final induction list. Only a limited number of graduating seniors will be inducted each year. Induction recommendations will be based on the quantity and quality of a student's record of service, the scope of the service activities relative to the student's overall profile, the range of service activities, and the resonance of the student's commitment to service with the Mission of Mercyhurst University and the service tradition of the Sisters of Mercy.
Graduating Seniors who are inducted into the Mercyhurst University Service Honor Society will wear the the Mercyhurst University Service Honor Cord at Commencement. Inductees will be honored at an official induction celebration on May 1, 2013.
Mercyhurst University Service Honor Society Nomination Form
For questions about the honor society, call Colin Hurley, director of Service Learning, at (814) 824-2471 or at "firstname.lastname@example.org":mailto:email@example.com.