- Mercyhurst is a four-year, Catholic, liberal arts university, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1926.
- Mercyhurst was granted university status in 2012.
- More than 50 undergraduate majors, with 67 concentrations, as well as unique adult programs and eight graduate degrees are available at the university.
- Mercyhurst University offers 24 varsity level sports, with the Lakers fielding teams in 12 women’s sports and 12 men’s sports. Two of the programs compete at the NCAA Division I level (men’s and women’s ice hockey), while 21 teams participate on the Division II stage.
- Mercyhurst's main 75-acre campus is set in Erie, Pennsylvania., the state's only port city; the campus is approximately 100 miles from Cleveland, Ohio, and Buffalo, New York, and 130 miles north of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Accreditation: The Pennsylvania Department of Education; The Council on Social Work Education; The Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration; National Association of Schools of Dance; The National Athletic Trainers Association; The American Physical Therapy Association; The National Association of Schools of Music; and International Assembly of Collegiate Business Educators.
- Full-time Graduate Students: 300
- Average class size: 20; All courses are taught by faculty, not graduate or teaching assistants.
- 45% male, 55% female
- About 40% of students identify as Catholic; a variety of other faith traditions are represented.
- Average GPA: 3.41
- Middle 50% SAT: 1170
- Middle 50% ACT: 24
- The enrolling class included 18 Valedictorians or Salutatorians, over 400 Egan Scholars, and five Rotary Youth Leadership Award recipients.
- Geographic distribution: Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, and more than 43 states and 53 countries.
- When Mother Borgia Egan was looking to build her college, she was advised by Father Garson to build it "on a hill" and "near water." When constructed, Mercyhurst sat atop Erie's largest hill, overlooking Lake Erie. The Hurst" part of the university's name pays homage to the "wooded area on the hill" where Mercyhurst found its home.
- The Grotto was named and modeled after the Grotto at Notre Dame University. The Grotto was constructed at the peak of the Great Depression, by unemployed laborers who worked with Father Sullivan to construct the Grotto out of thanks for the daily soup kitchen the sisters ran for the poor and out of work.
- The chapel lobby has received many famous visitors, including the Von Trapp Family and Eleanor Roosevelt.
- The first male to graduate Mercyhurst College was Daniel Burke. Today, he is a member of the university's art faculty.
Download the Lyrics
Download the mp3